Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Because Scarecrow requested it....

The other day my Dad and I were talking on the phone. He was planning to rent a movie, but he said all the movies he had seen recently were crap. So he was torn about what movie to get - maybe one about Queen Elizabeth (I think Elizabeth: The Golden Age) or one about the rule of Cromwell in England (which I can not recall the name of).

Here is how the conversation went from there.

Dad:...continuing on the topic of the Cromwell movie..."I wonder if they will deal with what he and [some guy I never heard of] did to [can't recall who]. They really screwed them."

(Edit: He said "I wonder if they would deal with Cromwell's invasion of Ireland. He really screwed them.")

Me: "Phollower and I are thinking of watching Iron Man on our new TV."

Dad: "An iron man competition?"

Me: "No the movie Iron Man"

Dad: "Oh I thought you meant that iron man competition or the world's strongest man competition."

Me: "No it is a movie about the comic book character, Iron Man."

Dad: "You are watching movies about comic books? Good thing you're 12 years of college education isn't going to waste."

(Edit: He said that he said, "I am glad I worked and sweated to pay for 12 years of college so you could sit around and watch cartoons." But he's old, so who's memory are you going to trust?)

Yup....good thing - that new TV rules! And by the way, we have not been able to rent Iron Man, so don't ruin it for me. And those of you who watched that Cromwell movie better not say anything either, just in case he hasn't seen it yet. Wouldn't want you to blow the ending or anything!

....which reminds me of another funny movie story.....

2 comments:

Scarecrow said...

You did promise to publish it in between snorts of laughter you managed to get out "That's going on my blogg. That is funny in so many different ways." I enjoyed providing the humor. The elderly seldom prove so useful except perhaps as medical school cadavers. Your version is close but hardly a quote. First, I said "I wonder if they would deal with Cromwell's invasion of Ireland. He really screwed them." check that out for yourselves at http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/history/events/dates/cromwell.shtm or anywhere else history is proported to be recorded but I wouldn't trusts the Brits on this one. Anyway the conversation then went pretty much as Silvia stated except my last line, the punch line if you will was "I am glad I worked and sweated to pay for 12 years of college so you could sit around and watch cartoons." I can see the humor in a couple ways and meant it to be so.

By the way; Does agitating a boiling pot increase the speed of evaporation?

Sylvia said...

Scarecrow: It seems you have mistakenly taken this blog for a factual one. As I tell my students (about Wikipedia), just because someone wrote it down does not make it true. That notwithstanding, I edited to reflect your corrections.