Friday, October 10, 2008

Opening Night for the NHL

Before the first game last night for the NHL, Versus showed had footage of a "party" the NHL was throwing for Red Wings fans in Detroit. The feature artists were Def Leppard (and yes, that is the correct spelling). You read correctly, Def Leppard. There are tons, dare I say hundreds, of great bands who are currently making music, and the NHL gets Def Leppard. I heard they have a new album, but I mean bands making good music right now. I really don't think the NHL officials get it.

Since Versus had the only games on at 7 and 10, we had to watch Versus. That is usually an unpleasant experience, but tonight it was especially unpleasant. I would post some footage from youtube from the "performance" but it was so terrible I'd hate to put anyone through watching it. Don't get me wrong. I liked Def Leppard back in the late 80s, but now I am more into music with more complex melodies and with more than 3 lines of lyrics. The lead singer looked horrible. I think he has been eating and doing drugs nonstop since Def Leppard stopped being popular (actually that may have been what he was doing when they were popular). He sounded horrible.

At one point, two of the Red Wings players showed up on stage with the Stanley Cup, riding on a motorcycle. One of them lifted the Cup up, kissed it, and handed it to the lead singer of Def Leppard, Joe Elliott. He took the Cup, kissed it, and placed on a table upside down. The NHL player ran over and righted it. What an ASS Joe Elliott is. Why should his fat ass get to kiss (or touch) the Cup? Could he not even found out how to handle the Cup ahead of time? I am pretty sure it was not a surprise visit.

All in all, it was a black mark on what should have been one of the best days of the hockey season.

3 comments:

Zoe said...

So glad I didn't see that.

limpy99 said...

I would have been appalled had I seen that, and that's coming from someone who spent an inordinate amount of time planning to steal the Cup when it was on tour through Hartford a couple of years back.

One way or the other, I'm getting the Whalers back.

Sylvia said...

Good luck with that Limpy! It makes more sense to have a team there then to have a team in the South or Southwest.

And I will say - you are both lucky not to have seen it!