Thursday, November 20, 2008

Voices by Ursula LeGuin

This was a really interesting book. It is in the "fantasy" and "young adult" fiction genres. It is about a young girl, born during an occupation of her country. She is conceived as a result of a rape, by the occupiers of her mother, who is dead by the time the story starts. The main story is about dealing with the occupation, learning about the occupiers through her eyes, learning tolerance. But what I liked was the story of the girl, finding herself and finding out who she was. It dealt with the importance of stories and history, and the role of reading/writing in society. It was a pretty quick read, and held my interest throughout. I would definitely recommend it if you like that kind of fiction.

1 comment:

mama biscuit said...

I miss reading. And photography. It's strange, since getting pregnant it seems I've taken a break from everything I used to love. I guess my brain is just focused on one thing and one thing only.

Soon I'll be reading children's books 24/7.